Captain’s Trash to Treasure – Deck Chairs

The Captain found two chairs in the marina’s dumpster.  He showed me his find.  Torn and sun faded, they were in bad shape and something I wouldn’t sit on.

 

But the Captain saw the value in the chairs.  With closed cell foam cushions and aluminum frame, he claimed they were sturdy, comfortable and brand-new chairs would cost over $200 each.

His suggestion was to recover them.

Like many of his dumpster finds, they ended up in our storage unit for 6 months. Just enough time to get up the courage to tackle a new project, our first-time upholstering (anything).

After buying the marine grade vinyl from JoAnn’s Fabrics, the Hide-Em trim and thread from Sail-Rite, and running out to buy the air-pressured staple gun from Harbor Freight (once realizing the hand-stapler wasn’t as effective going through the hard plastic backing on the chairs), we were prepared to begin.

Below are the steps we took for this project.

Remove all the old vinyl and rusty staples.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The cover is off the cushion

 

Stich rip the seams of the old vinyl to use as patterns.

 

Pattern for the arm rest

 

Sew the cover.

 

Place the new cover on top of the cushion.

 

Pull cover tight over the cushion and staple.

 

The cushion is fully covered but still shows ugly staples.

 

Take the Hide-Em.

 

And staple it over the seams.

 

And Voila! One recovered arm-rest.

 

Now we just need to finish the other arm rest, the bottom and back cushion.  Then repeat all steps for the other chair.

In real-time it was two weekends with several coffee and wine (whine) breaks for the first mate.

As you can see a big improvement.  Now we just need to find the time to sit and relax.

Fair Winds from the First Mate!

Sewing – Needle Pulling Thread

There are few things I do well.  Sewing is not one of them.  So when a sewing project comes up, I do my best to help Captain Kelly.  He knows more about sewing since his mother sewed and showed him a few things.

I was tired of living with paper shades for over a month and felt it was time to make our own curtains.  The Captain had another plan.  Since this sewing project entailed mostly straight lines, he put me in charge of making the curtains.

I reluctantly took on the challenge and at the same time wanted to get it done as quickly as possible.  So I started sewing at the speed of mach 10.  My lines took on the shape of fish hooks.

A few reminders on how to sew straight lines from the Captain and I was back on task.

 

Paper Curtain
Paper Shades

I slowed down a bit to make straight lines.

**Safety Point** Slowing the speed of the needle also help keep my fingers from getting too close and caught up in the needle.  😉

Sewing
Sailrite Sewing Machine, Don’t Leave the Dock Without It
Curtains
My Masterpiece

This quick project took three days and 26 panels.  Now I have curtains.  Not the fanciest port curtains, but I like them.

Signing off,

The Domestic Sewing Goddess

aka  Boat Wife