A Quick Haul-Out

Trini’s bottom was dirty.  She had a furry algae growing around the water line.  It was three years ago we pulled her out for a paint job, so it was time to give her a new bottom.

First we had to find a boat yard that would let us do our own work.  The only place in the Clear Lake area that didn’t require us to hire their staff to work on our boat was Starship Marina.

We save money, doing our own work since the going rate to hire skilled workers is around $75-$100 per hour.  Plus if something isn’t done right, we can only blame ourselves.

Even without paying for labor, the cost for a haul-out can add up.  For the haul-out, it’s $10 per foot plus $2 per foot to pressure wash the hull.  It also includes the yard blocking up the boat and placing a tarp under the vessel.  Then another $0.85 per foot for the daily yard rate.  This is a bargain considering the yard is located next to our marina and the only other yard we could do our own work in was Pier-77, located in Galveston, a day sail away.

Then there is the cost of the supplies.  Like the anti-fouling paint, a Regatta Red with 45% copper content.  It costs $125 per gallon.  We purchased 4 gallons for two coats on the hull.  We had just enough to do the job.

Other supplies to factor in…

  • Sand Paper
  • Plastic to tent the hull when sanding
  • Buffing Compound & Wax
  • Plus our hotel stay

Planning on two full days in the yard to sand and paint, we arranged to have her hauled out at 8:45 am on a Thursday and drop her back in the water on Saturday morning.  Hopefully we would have time to buff and wax the sides and stern.

Once Trini was on the slings, we knew the bottom paint we applied 3 years before had held up well.

There was barnacle build up on the rudder.

Barnacles on the prop.

 

And in some areas, a little black slim that was removed with the pressure washer.

The zinc on our propeller shaft, one we replaced right before Hurricane Harvey less than 3 months ago, was shot.

 

It was three hours, for two people to prep the boat and sand the 42′ hull.

Covered in toxic red dust after sanding the bottom we decided to paint the next day.

 

After a few hours of painting…

Trini had a new bottom.

And with a little help from a couple of guys in the yard (paid them 100 bucks) we got the sides buffed and waxed.

To see the improvements we made, here’s the Before Photo

And the After Photo

And That’s a Quick Haul-Out.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

First Mate, Kelly

 

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusFacebooktwittergoogle_plusby feather

Kelly Girl

Comments are closed.

The Books